15 Unique and Fun Goody Bag Alternatives for Kids’ Birthday Parties
Planning a kids’ birthday party is exciting, but when it comes to goody bags, many parents find themselves struggling to strike the right balance between fun and practicality. Traditional goody bags filled with plastic trinkets and candy often end up in the trash, leaving both parents and the environment feeling less than thrilled. But fear not, because we’ve got you covered with 15 unique and fun goody bag alternatives that will delight both kids and parents alike.
1. Book Bonanza
Books are always a great gift that can be cherished for years to come. Instead of goody bags filled with disposable items, consider giving each child a book. You can even tie in the party’s theme by selecting books that match the theme or ask guests to bring their favorite book to share in a book swap.
Here are some book ideas to get you started:
- The timeless charm of Mr. Men and Little Miss Books will delight kids as they decide who should get which book.
- Little Golden Books offer a variety of topics and are affordable options for goody bags.
- Customize book favors with personalized stickers or stamps that say “From the Library of ________.”
2. Crafty Creations
Engage the kids’ creativity and give them a lasting souvenir by including a craft activity as a party favor. This not only provides entertainment during the party but also allows the children to take home their creations.
Consider these crafty goody bag alternatives:
- A Scratch Pad: Kids are often obsessed with these, and it’s a generous party favor that encourages creativity.
- DIY Bouncy Ball Kit: This cool party favor will leave a memorable impression on the guests.
- Wind Chime Craft: Provide all the supplies needed for kids to make their own wind chime at home.
- Gel Pens: Mini gel pens that come in a set of 60 and smell yummy too!
- Air Dry Clay Kits: Send kids home with air dry clay kits and instructions to make their own creatures.
- Veggie or Seed Kits: Encourage a love for gardening by giving guests seed growing kits.
- Paintable Magnets: Integrate craft time into the party and let kids paint their own magnets.
- Fairy Wands: Let guests create their own fairy wands to take home.
3. Edible Delights
When in doubt, satisfy kids’ appetites with edible goody bags. These treats can be wrapped up in a favor bag and sent home with your guests. Opt for delicious treats that strike a balance between satisfying kids’ sweet tooth and avoiding an overload of sugar.
Here are some ideas for easy edible goody bags:
- S’more kits: A fun and tasty treat that kids can enjoy making at home.
- Caramel apples: A classic favorite that can be made at the party and taken home.
- Cotton candy: A sweet treat that kids will love.
- Gourmet popcorn: Provide guests with a variety of flavored popcorn for a gourmet experience.
- Doughnuts: A delightful goody bag alternative that is sure to please both kids and parents.
- Decorative sugar cookies: Send kids home with beautifully decorated cookies.
4. Gift Cards Galore
Support local businesses and give a gift that allows kids to choose something they truly desire. Gift cards are a versatile option that can be tailored to match the party theme. This goody bag alternative is easy to organize and ensures that each child receives a gift they will appreciate.
Consider these gift card ideas:
- Ice cream gift card: Treat guests to a sweet dessert at a local ice cream parlor.
- Movie ticket gift card: Let kids enjoy a trip to the movies with friends or family.
- Gaming gift card: Perfect for young gamers who love to play video games.
- Streaming apps gift card: Allow kids to enjoy their favorite shows and movies on popular streaming platforms.
- Toy store gift card: Give kids the freedom to choose their own toy or game.
5. Environmentally Conscious Favors
Ditch the plastic and opt for eco-friendly goody bags that promote sustainability. By choosing environmentally conscious favors, you not only reduce waste but also teach kids the importance of caring for the planet.
Consider these environmentally friendly goody bag alternatives:
- Easy-to-care-for plants like succulents, cacti, or air plants.
- Build a bouquet: Let kids create their own bouquet using flowers or plants.
- Give packets of seeds with a small pot and a baggie of soil for easy planting.
- Homemade recycled crafts: Encourage creativity and resourcefulness with crafts made from recycled materials.
- Seed bombs: Provide guests with seed bombs to plant and help beautify their surroundings.
6. Handmade with Love
For a personal touch, consider making the goody bags by hand. Handmade party favors add a unique and heartfelt element to the celebration, showing that you put thought and effort into each child’s gift.
Here are some ideas for handmade goody bags:
- Homespun crayons: Create customized crayons in various shapes and colors.
- Friendship bracelets: Handcraft colorful bracelets for each child to wear and cherish.
- Playdough: Make your own playdough in different colors and scents.
- Rubber stamps: Create personalized stamps for kids to use in their art projects.
- Dream catchers: Craft beautiful dream catchers for each child to hang in their room.
- Ornaments for the holiday season: Design and make ornaments that kids can hang on their Christmas tree.
7. Seasonal Surprises
Embrace the spirit of the season and give goody bags that are tailored to the time of year. Whether it’s summer, winter, spring, or fall, there are endless possibilities for seasonal goody bags that capture the essence of the season.
Consider these seasonal goody bag alternatives:
- Bubble wands: Perfect for outdoor summer parties, providing endless fun for kids. Bubble wands are perfect if you are having the latest craze Foam Parties!
- Sidewalk chalk: Let kids unleash their creativity with colorful sidewalk art.
- Sporting equipment: Give guests small sports items like mini basketballs or soccer balls.
- Hats, gloves, and scarves: Keep guests warm during winter birthdays.
- Beach toys: Ideal for summer parties by the pool or at the beach.
- Towels: Personalized towels are practical and can be used long after the party.
- Flip flops: Provide guests with comfortable footwear for summer adventures.
- Sunglasses: Protect little eyes from the sun while adding a stylish touch to their outfits.
8. Charitable Contributions
Spread kindness and teach kids the importance of giving back by donating to a charitable cause in lieu of traditional goody bags. Include a note explaining the donation and how it will positively impact others.
Consider these charitable organizations for donations:
- The Birthday Party Project: Supports homeless children in celebrating their birthdays.
- Gifted: Allows guests to donate to a cause that is meaningful to them.
- That’s Caring: Offers products that support children in need across the country.
- Rescue Chocolates: Raises funds for dog rescues nationwide.
9. Personalized Party Favors
Add a personal touch to the goody bags by customizing them with the birthday child’s favorite things or initials. This not only makes the favors more special but also shows the thought and effort put into each child’s gift.
Consider these personalized goody bag alternatives:
- Make a mixtape, Spotify playlist, or iTunes gift cards filled with the birthday child’s favorite songs.
- Chef hats and aprons for little aspiring chefs.
- Tote bags customized with each child’s name.
- Customized coloring books or sheets featuring the birthday child’s favorite characters or themes.
- Name bracelets or other personalized accessories.
10. Let the Kids Decide
Lastly, give the kids the power of choice by involving them in the goody bag selection process. Let them browse through options and decide on the favors they would like to share with their friends. This empowers them and ensures that the goody bags reflect their own interests and preferences.
By choosing unique and fun goody bag alternatives, you can create a memorable and enjoyable experience for both the birthday child and their guests. From books to crafts, edible treats to personalized favors, there are endless possibilities to make your child’s birthday party extra special. So ditch the plastic junk and opt for goody bags that leave a lasting impression and bring smiles to everyone’s faces.